THE LEARN WHAT MATTERS SCHOLARSHIP & COMMITTEE SEARCH
The Learn What Matters Scholarship will launch during the 2018-2019 school year at Freehold High School in Monmouth County, New Jersey.
This scholarship will provide a graduating senior from Freehold High School with a $1000 reward and an alumni mentor network for their first year after graduation. It will award a student who is an eager and lifelong learner with ambitious dreams to make a positive difference in the world.
The scholarship recipient will be selected based on short answers, personal recommendations, and an interview. Neither GPA, standardized test scores, nor financial need will be considered.
The financial reward can be used for any form of continued education that brings them closer to accomplishing their life goals. This includes, but is not limited to, two or four-year university tuition, online courses, coding bootcamps, sports training, fitness classes, etc. Students will have to justify their chosen educational opportunity. Proof of acceptance will be required to receive payment.
(Due to committee input, certain details of this scholarship might change before the application launch date.)
LEARN WHAT MATTERS SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE SEARCH
Learn What Matters is now searching for 4–5 other Freehold High School alumni who would like to help fundraise, market, and assist with the application review process.
COMMITTEE MEMBER REQUIREMENTS:
- You’re able to make a 2-year minimum commitment. (One year to sit on the scholarship committee, one additional year to mentor the scholarship recipient.)
- You can make a $100 minimum donation to the scholarship fund.
- You’re willing to fundraise and promote the online fundraising campaign.
- You’re able to screen applications in a timely manner.
- You’re willing to conduct 1–2 minimum phone or video call interviews.
- You’re able to attend weekly or biweekly calls during the application review and selection season.
- You’re excited to become an active Freehold High School alumni.
- You’re invested in the future success of the scholarship recipient(s).
ESTIMATED TIME COMMITMENT:
Year 1: 5–10 hours per week, approximately
Year 2: TBD based on recipient's request for mentorship
To apply, please fill out this form by June 1, 2018. You will be contacted via email by June 7, 2018 to set up a call to discuss your interest further. Final decisions will be made by the first week of July.
The first committee meeting will be in mid-July. (Exact date TBD based on committee members' schedules.)
Questions? Feedback? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
—Mal, Founder of Learn What Matters, Freehold High School Class of '11